image Ask GWC link

join Our Email List

The Western Sun - The Newspaper of Golden West College

Associate Degree for Transfer
Associate Degree for Transfer

Salary Surfer
Salary Surfer

Search jobs posted at our school!

Free Newsletter - Student Health 101

Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA)

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records.

  1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days of the day Golden West College receives a request for access. Students should submit to the Director of Admissions and Records, Administrative Director of Student Services or appropriate official, written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The Golden West College official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the Golden West College official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes is inaccurate. Students may ask Golden West College to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate. They should write the College official responsible for the records, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate. If Golden West College decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the College will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  3. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception, which permits disclosure without consent, is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the College in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the College has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility. School officials may disclose any and all educational records, including disciplinary records, to another institution at which the student seeks or intends to enroll without the prior consent of the student.
  4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by Golden West College to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is:

    Family Policy Compliance Office
    U.S. Department of Education
    400 Maryland Avenue, SW
    Washington, DC 20202-4605

Directory Information

Student’s directory information is released only upon approval of the Administrative Director of Student Services. Students may request in writing to the Administrative Director of Student Services or his/her designee, that directory information not be released.

Directory information includes one or more of the following: student’s name, birthdate, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, number of units of enrollment, and degrees and awards received. Golden West College maintains in the Admissions and Records Office the following student record information:

  1. Demographic data supplied to the college by the student through the enrollment process.
  2. Transcripts of high school work if supplied by the student.
  3. Transcripts of college work.
  4. Placement test data.
  5. Semester class enrollment data.

    Additional information maintained in other offices on some students may include:

  6. Financial Aid and EOP/S application information on students who have applied for either program.
  7. Work Experience records on students who have taken work experience courses within the past three years.
  8. An application file on students who have applied to the Health Professions programs within the year.
  9. Instructor evaluations for students enrolled in Health Professions programs.
  10. Instructor evaluations for students enrolled in Criminal Justice Academy courses.
  11. Records maintained of students who have been disciplined.
  12. Medical records on students who have filed a medical inventory form or who have made use of the health services.

Students may review the information contained in items 1-11. For items 1-5, a letter requesting review should be directed to the Admissions and Records Office. Requests for review of information contained in item 6 may be made to the Vice President of Student Services and information in item 7 may be reviewed by arrangement with the office of Work Experience. Inquiries regarding information contained in items 8, 9, and 10 are to be directed to the Administrative Director of Student Services, the Dean of Health Professions Programs, and the Dean of the Criminal Justice Program, respectively. All requests for review will be honored within 15 days. Medical records are not available to the student. However, the student may request review of the records by his/her physician or appropriate professional of his/her choice. Students may challenge the contents of any records by notifying the administrator associated with the records in question. If the issue question. If the issue is not resolved at that level, the student may use the student grievance procedure.


Golden West College may send academic reports of former high school students who graduated in the last five years to high schools within the Coast Community College District. The purpose is to assist the high schools in academic research. The reports include the I.D. number, classes, grades, grade point average, and major. Any student who prefers to have his/her name deleted from such reports should contact the Staff Assistant to the Administrative Director of Enrollment Center.