Assessment Center

join Our Email List

The Western Sun - The Newspaper of Golden West College

Associate Degree for Transfer
Associate Degree for Transfer

Salary Surfer
Salary Surfer

Search jobs posted at our school!

Free Newsletter - Student Health 101

Photo of International Students at Golden West College

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the next step after I have been admitted?

Once you have been admitted, the International Student Program will issue you an I-20 Form along with an acceptance letter which provides instructions about the use of the I-20.

How can I get my student Visa?

The student visa (F-1) application process must be completed through the U.S. Embassy/Consulate located in your country. Before you apply, contact the Consulate to verify the requirements for processing your student visa. Usually the requirements for a student visa are the following:

Note: Other documents such as prior U.S. transcripts and I-20s may be requested.

Did You Hear the News about Dependents with F-2 Visas? They can Study at Golden West College!

The U.S. Department of State recently announced a big change in the U.S. visa regulations for F-2 visa holders (dependent spouses and children of F-1 students). As of May 29, 2015, spouses and children of F-1 students in the U.S. with valid F-2 visas may enroll in college courses for credit as long as their enrollment is less than 12 units each Fall and Spring semester. An F-2 visa holder interested in enrolling at Golden West College will have to meet the general admission requirements and follow the application procedures of the college. F-2 dependent applicants will need to either have graduated high school or be over 18 years old and apply for admission using the district website F-2 visa holders whoare in high school and wish to attend the college should inquire with their high school counselor about how to apply as a high school student.

Are you an F-2 visa holder? Please contact the Enrollment Center (714-895-8306) with questions about enrolling at Golden West.

When do classes begin and how long do they last?

GWC operates year-round. Full-semester courses are usually 16 weeks long, with Fall semesters beginning in late-August and Spring semesters in late-January. Summer classes are offered in sessions lasting from 4 to 8 weeks. There are also short-term courses that begin at different times within the year.

Once I arrive in Huntington Beach, what do I need to do?

Report to the International Student Program to complete the processing of your documents and for assistance in scheduling appointments on campus.

What is the assessment test and why do I have to take it?

Prior to enrollment, assessment in English, Mathematics, reading and study skills is required for all new students. Non-native English speakers should take the ESL (English As A Second Language) placement test. The results of these tests are used by counselors to assist students in making appropriate course selection.